This cookie was eaten on the podcast in episode 071 – Link
- 150g butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground ginger (as a powder, not fresh ginger)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup confectioner sugar
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp butter, melted
- 1 – 2 drops red food colouring
- ½ cup raspberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the butter, brown sugar and vanilla essence into a large bowl. Beat until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Add the egg and continue beating until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the sifted flour, cinnamon, mixed spice, ground ginger and baking powder. Mix until the mixture forms a smooth dough.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to 4 mm thick. Cut out biscuits using a 6 cm fluted cutter. Place the biscuits onto baking trays lined with baking paper.
- Press remaining dough together and roll out again, continuing until you have approximately 40 biscuits.
- Bake in batches in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until they are light golden. Stand for 5 minutes before cooling on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Add the milk, butter and enough colouring to make a pale pink icing.
- Spread half of the biscuits with jam. Sandwich with the remaining biscuits. Spread the icing over the top biscuit. Sprinkle with Jelly crystals.