Original recipe in: Huisgenoot se Wenresepte 2 by Annette Human
This cookie was eaten on the podcast in episode 060 – Link
- 250g flour
- 25g castor sugar
- 10ml baking powder
- 1 ml salt
- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 3 extra large egg yolks
- 15 ml cold water
- 75ml apricot jam
- 3 extra large egg whites
- 250g sugar
- 160 g coconut
- Sift the flour, castor sugar, baking powder and salt together.
- Crumble in the butter and mix with finger tips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix the egg yolks and cold water and add to the butter mixture. Mix to a dough. add a little extra water if it is too dry.
- Work the dough into a ball, cover and leave aside to rest.
- Heat the oven to 180 deg. C(350 F)
- Grease the inside of muffin pans.
- Roll out the dough, about 1 mm thick. Cut round circles with a cookie cutter, big enough to cover the inside of the muffin pan. Press into muffin pans.
- Put a teaspoon of jam into each dough crust.
- Whisk the egg-whites until stiff and gradually add the sugar to whisk to a meringue.
- Stir in the coconut.
- Put a tablespoonful of coconut meringue onto each jam-filled dough crust.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in the middle of the oven.
- Leave to cool before removing. Store in a cool place.