This cookie was eaten on the podcast in episode 059 – Link
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup Buttermilk (or ¼ c. milk and ¼ cup vinegar
- 5 teaspoons Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 cup Lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1¼ cup Sugar
- ⅞ cup All purpose flour
- 8 tablespoons Butter or margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 375
- In a small bowl or 2 cup measuring cup, beat the egg until foamy.
- Add the buttermilk and vanilla and blend well.
- Add the baking soda, one teaspoonful at a time, sprinkling it in and beating until the mixture is smooth and the consistency of light cream.
- Add the lemon juice all at once and blend into the mixture. Stir, but do not beat (you want it creamy, but without a lot of air)
- The mixture will congeal into a pasty lump. Scoop it out of the bowl with a spatula and spread it on a floured surface.
- Sift the flour and 3/4 cup of the sugar together and use the fingertips to work it into the egg- lemon mixture.
- With a floured rolling pin, roll the dough out 1/32′ thick and with the tip of a sharp knife, cut out ‘angel’ shapes and twist the edges up to form a shell-like curve about 3/8″ high. Sprinkle on the remainder of the sugar.
- Brush each ‘angel’ with melted butter.
- Place the angels one inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.