This cookie was eaten on the podcast in episode 024 – Link
- 1 cup margarine
- ½ cup butter
- 1¼ cups brown sugar (loosely packed)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 3 cups whole rolled oats
- 1 package semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup dried cranberries, cherries or other dried fruit.
- ½ cup whole ground flaxseed meal
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line baking sheets with parchment.
- Sift together whole wheat and white flour and set aside.
- In mixer bowl, cream margarine and butter. Add brown sugar, eggs and vanilla, continue mixing.
- Incorporate flour mixture into creamed mixture, add rolled oats.
- Touch test – if dough is sticky, add a small amount more white flour.
- Add one or more of the optional ingredients.
- Place 1 ½ inch diameter balls of dough evenly spaced on sheets.
- Bake 11-13 minutes, rotating pans after 6 minutes.
- When lightly browned, allow to cool on pan for 5 minutes.
- Move to wire rack with spatula and allow to completely cool.
- Store in air tight container – may be frozen.
Yields 5-6 dozen medium sized, chewy treats