This cookie was eaten on the podcast in episode 100
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- ½ cup sugar
- 3½ cups white plain flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ cup semolina
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1-2 teaspoons cognac (or brandy/whiskey)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup sugar
(You may find that the syrup is too much, but we like our desserts swimming in gooey sweetness. You could reduce the quantities to ¾ or ½ cup each)
- You mix the oil, sugar, semolina, cinnamon and cognac in a bowl.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder and add them slowly to the oil mix while whisking.
- Preheat the oven at 350 F and put a baking sheet on your tray.
- Shape the cookies from the dough into oblong/oval, 3 inch long pieces and place them on the tray.
- Bake for 20-25 mins. Remove them from the oven and let them cool a bit (10 – 15 minutes) without touching them or else they’ll crumble.
- In a pot add the 3 ingredients for the syrup and wait until they boil.
- Remove the pot from the fire and pour the syrup on the cookies.
- Let them sit in the syrup until they are completely cool and then remove them from the tray with all the excess syrup and put them in a plate or a container.
- You may choose to sprinkle cinnamon and crushed almonds on top, but I personally prefer them plain, like that. Tis done.