This cookie was eaten on the podcast in episode 016 – Link
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ Cup cocoa powder
- ¼ Teaspoon salt
- 8 Tablespoon butter, softened
- ⅔ Cup sugar
- 1 large egg, separated, plus 1 additional egg white
- 2 Tablespoon milk
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ Cup pecans, finely chopped
- 14 soft caramel candies
- 3 Tablespoon heavy cream
Chocolate Drizzle (optional)
- 2 Ounce semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 Teaspoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Combine flour, cocoa, and salt; set aside.
- With electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg yolk, milk, and vanilla; mix until incorporated.
- Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture until just combined.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, 1 hour.
- Whisk egg whites in a bowl until frothy.
- Place chopped pecans in another bowl.
- Roll chilled dough into 1-inch balls, dip in egg whites, and then roll in pecans.
- Place balls about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet.
- Using a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon, make an indentation in the center of each dough ball.
- Bake until set, about 12 minutes.
- Microwave caramels and cream together in a small bowl, stirring occasionally, until smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Once cookies are removed from the oven, gently re-press the indentations.
- Fill each indentation with about ½ teaspoon of the caramel mixture.
- Cool on the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place chocolate and shortening in a small zip-top plastic bag.
- Set bag in a bowl of warm water to soften.
- Gently knead the chocolate with your fingers until melted and smooth, placing back in the warm water for a minute or two as needed.
- Snip a very small hole in the corner of the plastic bag.
- Drizzle chocolate over the cooled turtle cookies.